Saturday, December 3, 2011

B27. 3 Things It Took Me 50 Years To Learn

Some birthdays deserve their own blog.  How interesting it would be to compare our own “What I’ve Learned” blogs for every decade of our lives.  Mine would have changed drastically over the years, and likewise, I’m sure this one will change at 60, 70, and 80.  Nonetheless, to this point in my life, I think I can sum up what I have learned of most importance in 3 statements:
1.   Life is mostly about relationships.  With God, with family, with friends, with students and coworkers, with people we’ve never met next door and across the oceans . . . It is in relationships that we find true joy and meaning, and those who are wisest among us are devoting their quality time and energy to nurturing, building and enjoying those relationships.
2.  There are far more questions in this life than answers.  An unsettling thought to many, that no political party, no religious affiliation, nor any educational background has all the answers.  But maybe there is peace in embracing the questions?
3.  Fifty is not as old as I used to think it was.

No comments: