Friday, October 4, 2019

B151. For My Daddy on His 80th Birthday



I invited friends and family (via Facebook) to submit memories and stories, or statements of something they love about my daddy. Happy 80th, Daddy!




Deborah A.: He has the cutest little mischievous grin. Like he's got a secret he's not telling He & Faye have always been there. Taking Grandma to church. Always a constant Godly presence in a world of change. And he loves to watch the birds. Who could not love a man who loves to watch the birds outside the living room window! I love you, Uncle Lowell!


Tammy A.: Happy birthday, Lowell, enjoy your day . . . remembering you is so easy . . . insurance days at Farm Bureau, you were my first agent there, and so polite . . . oh, and by the way, your daughter ain't so bad either, we graduated from B'ville and S'mount together.


Alicia B.: It's hard to see uncle Lowell now because he looks and acts so much like my daddy. My favorite memories are whenever there was a baby or child around Lowell loves to hold and play with them, just like my daddy.


Amanda B.: My fondest memory is interviewing him for my graduate level career development project. I genuinely enjoyed hearing him speak about his secondary educational experience.


Marisa B.: I loved that when I was younger he took the time out of his own life to pick me up and take me to church.


Debby C.: When I think of Lowell, I think of his quick wit and gentle ways! He is a man who loves his family and others. Happy birthday to him!


Beth D.: Softball days at Booonville Elementary School


Kim E.: I love how he (and your mom) was able to love us at Mills Home like their own.


Carla L.: Always styling and profiling! Handsome uncle who's always smiling.


Melanie L-R.: Tell "Ol' Boss Hogg" I love him! Margie and Bill said I called him that when I was little. Lol! He has always had a smile and a hug ready for me and my kids.


Norma L.: I have known Lowell for a long time! To me, he always seems to be so humble! He is a blessing to many people with his heart for helping others! Great man!


Brenda M.: I remember thinking that Lowell never complained, and that reminded me of his Mom.


Scarlet M.: Memories of your dad leading the choir and congregation every Sunday at church still brings a smile to my face! You and Lisa are very blessed to have such a great and loving Dad, with your mom right by his side, also a great blessing. Happy 80th birthday, Lowell!


Mark M.: Your Dad always had a smile on his face. We would speak to you anytime he sees you. He would always lead the music at church or sing in the choir. Happy birthday, Lowell!


Melanie P.: One of my favorite memories . . . is when he used to drive Lisa and me somewhere and he played what I called his "elevator music" on the radio. Or course we thought it was the least cool music ever, but secretly I loved it because he was so cheerful; always humming and whistling and just enjoying a simple pleasure. Refreshing. We could all learn a lot from him - just sit back and enjoy a snappy tune every now and then. It is good for the soul!


Bill P.: Enjoy our trips. Great person to travel with.


Daniel P.: My Cathy and I still have a stack of $2 bills that he would send to us at Christmas.


Margie P.: I can remember we were best friends and playmates when we were little whether it was playing with our older siblings in the creek, cracking and eating walnuts under the walnut tree or climbing the apple tree in the spring or watching a line of ants coming to get the bread crumbs on the front porch that we had provided for them. We worked in the tobacco field when we got older and this was not fun. I am thankful for my brother Lowell and his family.


Bradley S.: Lowell (and Faye) were always the best examples of Christ for me growing up. They were at the church every time the doors were open, and always kind and loving to everyone. I do remember a trip to a ballgame with Lowell and my dad one time when Lowell was talking about growing up and being in great shape with "washboard abs."


Susan S.: One thing that sticks out in my memory about him is he would always give me $2 bills for birthday/Christmas. Plus he's one of the most humble, gentle, kind people I've ever known.


Becky S.: One of the BEST brothers anyone could ever ask for, not only to me but to so many people. He truly is one of a kind.


Penny S.: I loved having him as my trivia partner that year at Christmas. He is so smart, and I miss y'all.


Tammy S.: Like Scarlet, I remember him EVERY Sunday leading the choir and always dressed in his finest suit with every hair in place. Him and Faye were always and still are a big part of Charity Baptist Church. Great Christian Man!


Betty S.: I remember one day years ago when we cousins were at Grandma Vestal's. We were sitting around talking about our favorite food. Lowell said his was Pizza and I didn't even know what Pizza wa at that time. I also remember a few years ago when he and Faye came to visit us. Spencer took Lowell for a ride on the Gator and Lowell came back with his eyes itching and swollen. He found out that day that he was allergic to pollen from fescue grass. He said Spencer was his Allergy doctor because now he knew the cause of his allergy.


Faye V.: We had just barely started seeing each other when my family moved to King, and a friend of mine told Lowell that I was seeing someone else!! I didn't know this, so after a while I dropped him a card and asked if he was married or something! He came over, and now we've been married 58 1/2 years! Happy birthday to Lowell!


Kathy V.: Our special Daddy/Kathy days of family history and cemetery rides,  walks in the woods, getting questioned for trespassing through the overgrowth of the old golf course, and returning just the two of us to the Land of Oz where he became "Uncle Henry."


Tim V.: My favorite memory of Lowell (other than being daddy's twin) is when he would throw his voice and make it sound like a dog barking. So many kids in our family would stop and look, even go investigate. Lowell would just grin and wait for a chance to do it again.


Lisa W.: Two from many treasured memories with Daddy: Saturday mornings having snuggle time on the couch watching Pink Panther together (while Mama and Kathy slept in) . . . and "doodle bug hunting" in the yard. Daddy taught me to place a blade of grass in a little hole and say "Doodle bug doodle bug, come out of your house." We'd pull the grass out and there was the doodle bug hanging on!


Sarah W.: A favorite memory: Dancing with him (and he let me jump on the bed) to Elvis' "Hound-dog" coming from his record player.


Patricia W.: I always loved how he and my dad Kenneth always picked with each other on Sunday morning.







Note: Last names, exact place names, etc. have been omitted here for privacy (except in his personal printed copy). Also the few very kind comments by friends who haven't met my dad have been deleted for his sake, but greatly appreciated. Thank you to all who responded to give him some extra birthday smiles! If you missed the opportunity and would like to be added, I'll be happy to add you.

Photo: The photo is from his 79th birthday.



Other blog posts about my daddy:
B94. My Daddy
B84. Franklin McCain: You Live Forever Tall

No comments: