Tuesday, May 23, 2023

B169. Workout Interrupted

 



My morning workout:


“You are so inconsiderate,” the woman told me with anger piercing from her eyes. “I hope you will think about how you treat other people.”

I was working out in the weight room, as I’ve been doing a few days a week for more than a year. I participate in a stretch and balance class at 10:00, and I usually work out on the machines before and after. This particular machine I most often do after the class, because I don’t often arrive with a full 30 minutes to give to it before.

A few weeks ago, I did. This woman approached me and asked how long I planned to be on the machine. “I’ll be finished in one minute,” I responded. The machine showed me there was 1one minute left on my 30-minute timer. I could tell by the look on her face that she wanted an argument. “You’re only supposed to stay on it for 15 minutes,” she said. “Ok, one minute,” I said. I finished my minute and went to my class.

I’d never seen anything about a 15-minute limit but thought since the other machine like mine was also taken, that did seem a reasonable courtesy. I would be mindful.

Today I arrived early. The only person in the entire workout area, I worked out on several machines and moved to that one for the final 30 minutes prior to my class time. I noticed the woman participating in the 9:00 exercise class. (Half the large room is exercise equipment, the other half used for fitness classes.) About 9:45 when her class ended she came over and stood at the wall nearest to where I was. It crossed my mind she might be wanting my machine again, but I dismissed the thought, as I was still the only person working out on any machine, and right beside me was a vacant machine like the one I was on.

At 9:52 she approached me. “You’re only supposed to stay on a machine for 15 minutes,” she said.

“I didn’t know that,” I responded, “Can you show me where that is?”

“(Name of the fitness manager) told me,” she said, obviously becoming more and more agitated.

“I’ll be finished in 8 minutes,” I said, “in time for the start of the next class.”

“You are so inconsiderate of others,” she scolded me.

“I’m sorry, ma’am. I’ll be finished in 7 minutes.”

“You are very inconsiderate,” she reiterated.

“God bless you, ma’am,” I said.

“Bless you too," she said "and I hope you think about how you treat other people. You are only supposed to be on a machine for 15 minutes to be considerate of others.”

“I pointed to the machine beside mine. “What about that machine?” I asked her calmly.

At that moment, a man entered the room and headed for that machine. She responded to me: “I knew he liked that machine, and I am considerate of other people. You are not supposed to be on a machine longer than 15 minutes."

“Have a good day, ma’am,” I said, hoping to end the confrontation that was going nowhere.

“I hope you do too, and I hope you think about how you are. You are inconsiderate and stubborn. You are stubborn,” she said with obvious frustration and anger.

“I hope you have a good day, ma’am,” I said.

She left the room.

I do hope her day got better. And she did get her wish that I thought about it - even shared it with a few hundred Facebook friends and blog readers. And I think maybe I’ll consider beginning with 15 minutes on that machine, moving through all my other machines, then finishing with a final 15 on that one. I’m not sure there is any such 15-minute rule, but it’s a small thing I can do toward world peace. Everyone we meet is fighting some kind of personal battle, far bigger and deeper than the anger they direct to strangers in the fitness room.

No comments: